BOARD MEETING MINUTES
Wednesday January 16, 2017
Bryan Rickard 2082 Lindengrove St. Westlake Village, CA (805) 777-9293
In Attendance: Katy Herbst de Cortina, Jerry Shaw, Russ Stone, Gloria Hilliard, Bryan Rickard, Arlene Kovalivker, Bonnie Hicks, Carol Fredericks Absent: Debra Froling
7:30pm Board meeting started
It consisted of $4,873.56 in the checking account, and $6,225.50 in the savings account. This time
last year the current asset balance was $9,363.69.
to-date is $2,554 favorable to budget (cell P108). Much of that is due to our ticket sales ($1,450 favorable to budget) and donations ($1,117 favorable to budget). Although our program printing expense was $293 over budget, that was more than offset by the increased advertising revenue, $500 favorable to budget.
B. December Summary:
December 2 and 3. The main income items were a $1,500 grant from the City's Alliance for the Arts; Box Office and Ticketmaster ticket sales of $2,094.94 (113 tickets), and a refund of $595 for overpaid estimated stagehands and front of house costs. The main cost was $3,014 for the $6.50 fee on 548 consignment tickets they reported we'd sold (we thought we'd sold 547).
7. As the attached updated budget spreadsheet shows, our net income for the current fiscal year-to-date is $2,640 favorable to budget. Much of that is due to our grants received a month earlier than budgeted.
Carol moves to accept the treasurer’s report. 2nd. Accepted
A. President (Russ Stone)
1. Bryan and Russ participated in a Holiday concert in Westlake. They had a great time and shared the about the program.
B. Graphics/Programs (Katy Herbst de Cortina)
1. Katy sent the production schedule to Russ for the Spring. She hopes to have the posters done by the
2nd or 3rd rehearsal. It was suggested that it might be too early to send out, so she will get them made but will bring them later in the semester to rehearsal.
C. Concert Master (Debra Froling)- Absent
1. Bryan received a letter from our storage company about new liability coverage for the storage place, and also another letter from our insurance company about changes that will be coming up to our policy. Bryan gave the letters to Russ and he will take a look at them and give them to Debra.
D. Choral Director (Gloria Hilliard)
1. The Music is all together and ready for our rehearsal tomorrow.
2. Auditions went well.
3. Gloria asked about the donation cards. Katy didn’t realize that the donation cards needed to go to
the printer so it was too late to send them in for the Fall concert. She just copied them and will make sure they are sent to the printer for the next concert.
4. The board brings snack to the first rehearsal and Gloria suggests they be there before 7pm
E. Publicity (Jerry Shaw)
1. All audition announcements went out in a timely manner. It was in twelve publications.
2. Jerry asked for the publicity announcement for the concert. Gloria will email it to him.
3. Jerry will send in the announcements for the Spring concerts to the publications by Mid-April
4. Constant Contact- Emails will be sent in Mid- April and the second in May.
Gloria suggested we collect emails from our members again since we haven’t done that in a while.
F. Ways and Means (Arlene Kovalivker)
1. Planned Events- Panda Express Fundraiser is Jan 25 they are giving us 20%. There will also be
a woman coming to sell Stella and Dot jewelry during our rehearsal on January 31. She will give us a percentage of what she sells on January 31.
2. Angel bins is another organization we can partner with. They collect shoes and you get a certain
amount of money for the shoes you donate. We would need storage for the shoes because they
won’t collect them until we have a certain amount of money. Russ will ask Mike about how much room we have in our storage.
3. Katy offered to put it on our Facebook page
G. Membership (Carol Fredericks)
1. There were quite a few scheduled to audition, but many people didn’t show up.
2. We have added 3 new members we have also lost a lot of members this semester. Right now we
have 63 members.
3. We need Tenors and Basses
4. It was suggested we put on the Facebook page we are looking for Tenors and Basses, and also we can
send out a constant contact email.
H. Secretary (Bonnie Hicks)
a) Russ created a new Ad Sales form- Katy suggested that we add a line that says “Submitted By”. Russ gave a list of duties for the Dedicate a Song Coordinator. Bonnie will be the Dedicate a Song Coordinator and Katy will do Ad Sales.
b) Flyers will be done by March 1 to be ready for distribution on March 7.
Jerry- Cookies Bonnie- meats, Arlene- Lemon Cakes
4. Arlene will be sending out letters to the elementary schools about Grants.
6. Party this Spring - We would like to have a party in late April. Russ will ask the members if anyone would like to host the party and go from there.
Next Meeting: February 13, 2017 hostedby Gloria Hilliard
Thank you Russ