BOARD MEETING Minutes Wednesday November 16, 2016
Jerry Shaw-4261 Peach Slope Rd. Moorpark, CA. 93021 (805) 529-6825
In Attendance: Jerry Shaw, Russ Stone, Katy Herbst de Cortina, Gloria Hilliard, Debra Froling, Bryan Rickard, Arlene Kovalivker, Bonnie Hicks Absent: Carol Fredericks
7:36pm Board meeting starts
Jerry moves to approve minutes. 2nd. Approved.
1. The month-end current asset balance was $12,799.64, an increase of $9,908.68 over the month. It consisted of $11,674.24 in the checking account, and $1,125.40 in the savings account. This time last year the current asset balance was $11,433.73.
2. This month we began selling tickets for our Fall concerts. By month-end we had sold 351 tickets, at $25 each, for a total of $8,775. This time last year we had sold 337 tickets, at $25 each, for $8,425.
3. This month we received notice from the Alliance for the Arts that they will award us a $3,000 grant this year. Last year we received $2,000. Along with about 10 other grant recipients, I attended their awards dinner last week. The Alliance is in the process of merging with the City's Community Events Endowment Fund, and a brief description of that process was given at the dinner. They will continue to give their grants separately until 2018 at the earliest.
4. Ladera school has still not cashed their $150 check we sent them in April.
6. This month we received a donation from the Oaks Camerata, formerly the Oaks Chamber Singers, another local choral organization that ceased operating a few years ago. They donated their remaining funds, $742.30, to us for our Scholarship Awards.
7. As the attached updated budget spreadsheet shows, our net income for the current fiscal year-to-date is $1,478 favorable to budget (cell O108). Most of that was due to the excellent donations we received this month. Columns L through O show the updates for October.
Arlene moves that we accept the treasurer’s report. 2nd. Approved.
A. President (Russ Stone)
Nothing new to report.
B. Graphics/Programs (Katy Herbst de Cortina)
1. Program went to the printers today. She is picking them up Wednesday the 23rd. She plans to have the donations cards stuffed the following Tuesday before rehearsal.
2. The price for the program was a little more than she was quoted. The total was $901.16.
3. We had some issues with Dedicate a Song and Ads. Katy is thinking of having a table before rehearsal, like we sell tickets, so she can talk to people and make sure that everything looks like it should. Bonnie will help with that.
4. We had the concert announced on the digital marquee and Electronic Poster at the Civic Arts Plaza.
5. Katy also asked if we should have an announcement on Facebook about Auditions in December
C. Concert Master (Debra Froling)
1. We paid our insurance, which was a little more as stated in the treasurer’s report. It covers everything and doesn’t affect our other insurance.
2. Debra began getting volunteers to help get the shell and risers.
3. Debra has started collecting flower orders, and Maria is helping with flowers.
C. Choral Director (Gloria Hilliard)
1. Gloria found some instruments that we can use for Betelehemu. Josh Steck met with Gloria and will be playing
2. Gloria made a new seating chart, since people have dropped out and we have spots that need to be filled.
3. Gloria finished the narration today.
D. Publicity (Jerry Shaw)
1. Auditions will begin on January 4 for the Spring semester and announcements will go out in the next couple days.
2. Publicity must have worked because we are sold out.
3. After 6 weeks Jerry met with the Media Consultant for the Ventura County Star. He said we could run a one-time ad in the Time Out Section, which suggests things for people to do that weekend. It would be a quarter to a half page but it is $300- $500. The ad would be running three times in 1week in Early or Mid-May. The cost is $1500-$3000 and that is with a 20% discount. They would do all the graphics for us as well. The consultant suggested that we target Leisure Village in Camarillo.
E. Ways and Means (Arlene Kovalivker)
1. Arlene has a couple ideas she would like to talk to the board about.
2. Arlene is going to start working on a Silent Auction. At our January meeting she would like to set
F. Membership (Carol Fredericks) absent no report
G. Secretary (Bonnie Hicks)
2. It was asked if we know how many subscription tickets we sold. Gloria said we sold 16; Russ will acknowledge and thank our Subscription ticket holders are the concert to hopefully get more people to subscribe next year.
Next Meeting: January 9, 2017hostedby Bryan Richard
Thank you, Russ